Sunday 31 March 2013

There will be blood

There will be blood came highly rated and recommended from all sides - so I did try;I tried my best but could not get through to the end.

Daniel-Day Lewis is a treat to watch and the cinematography is top-notch, capturing the grittiness of the time (not that I'd know); however, eventually, a sluggish plot killed the movie for me.

Epics spanning multiple generations need to be broken down into acts with their own satisfying story arcs (even if real life may not work that way, movies should). TWBB follows a singles story arc, and like classical music, it may require a trained viewer to appreciate the extended periodicity and harmonization of plot lines over three hours. Lest you mistake me for a boor and nihilist, let me point out that the Godfather movies are a superb example of this art perfected.

I suspect this is one of those movies that its a personal preference and from the rave reviews it has received everyone should watch it and judge for themselves.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Gallery